Monday, November 21, 2011

Meatballs

Meatballs are a dish which we make prettz regularely at home. They are easy to make, you can freeze them for a later time point and they are the perfect food for eating on the road. Every time I know that we have to eat in the car because our only alternatives are the reateaurants on the highway, I prepare a batch of meatballs before we leave. You can take a second container filled with salad and you'll have a perfect Paleo meal on the road. 

Meatballs


Ingredients(for 2 hungry persons):
  • 2 lb ground meat
  • 1 lb pork belly
  • 3 red onions
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup nut meal (choose whichever you like best, e.g. almond, walnut, coconut)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • fresh parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • Balsamico vinegar
Preheat the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and chop the onions. Cut the pork belly into small pieces. Heat some lard or coconut oil in a pan and roast the onions and the pork belly in it. Peel the garlic cloves and add it to the pan using a garlic press. When the onions are glassy and the pork belly crunchy, deglaze everything with Balsamico vinegar. Let it brew for about 5 minutes, then put the pan aside and let everything cool down.
Meanwhile you can mix he ground meat, egg, nut meal, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the onion-pork belly-mixture. Form little meatballs out of the mixture. The bigger you make them, the longer they will need to stay in the oven.
Heat some lard or coconut oil in a pan and roast the meatballs from all sides. Put them in a form or on a roast afterwards. They need to bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes.
They taste best together with a fresh mixed salad.








2 comments:

  1. Hi Steffi! I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you have this blog in German and English. I'm American living in the US and my husband is German. Due to a family crisis, we are going to be staying in Germany for 3 - 4 months starting in January and I have really just starting eating Paleo in the last month. I'd hate to lose momentum, so I am hoping I might be able to ask you for paleo tips, such as where to get coconut oil, almond butter, ground turkey, etc.
    We're still in the US for now, but I just wanted to introduce myself. I will be in central Hessen.
    Thanks! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    welcome to the Paleo world! I will be happz to help you once you are in Germany. Hope, you will like it here.
    Best,Steffi

    ReplyDelete